Monday, February 2, 2009

Our Feathered Friends

Ok, I know my first post in the New Year and I'm talking about birds. Here in Connecticut we were hit with a pretty big snow storm and what better thing to do then watch our feathered friends. I can't get enough!
Matthew (my husband) has noticed on several occasions I'm in the same position, staring out the same window as when he gets home from work as when he left. I know, how lazy can you be?
I must say very lazy, but they have become my friends. I feed them, water them and care deeply for there well being. I have lost three birds over the last year that I had become very found of. I had a little House Sparrow that just wasn't right, he couldn't fly well. We all know that being able to fly well for a bird is very important. I was hoping that if he just made it through another molt his feathers would be stronger and away he'd go. No such luck!
Then a White-throated Sparrow had a similar story. The Mocking Bird was maybe the hardest. They are such friendly and happy birds. This sweet bird met its fate by a cunning hawk. But, for these sad stories there are as equally happy moments when watching and becoming friends with the birds.
My favorite is about a Carolina Wren. What a trooper. He too had a rough start and couldn't fly well. This time it was only the feathers. He was from a late clutch and must have missed out on some important nutrients because his flight feathers were just not right. The cold didn't get him down. He hunkered down in the basket by our back door. Being such a softy I lined the basket with leaves and pine needles, kept the feeders full and the bird bath heated. Low and behold his next set of flight feathers grew in and away he could fly. But, not to far. I found him a week later; he moved to the basket on our barn. To my surprise he needed the larger basket because he made a friend. My misfit wren now has a mate and I watch their antics everyday around the house.

No comments: