Thursday, June 5, 2008

Love and Patience!!!

If you have ever disagreed with the saying "dogs are good practice for children" you should try gardening. Most gardening fatalities, when caused by dogs and children can be avoided. After the initial rage subsides you see that it really is all your fault. Yelling and screaming will do nothing, except make you look like a bad pet owner/parent. I can assure you it will not keep them from going in, only a sturdy fence will deture both. They don't see beautiful flowers and tidy rows of veggies. They see fun and easy diggable dirt, something to put in their mouth, touch, explore and my favorite, beat with sticks/tails. You never know, there may be wild Bubba Bears (their favorite toy) and mystical creatures hiding amongst the lupines and peonies or in the rows of radishes and beets.

All which have been the fatalities of the week. I didn't close the garden gate, then the peonies and lupines bloomed. Henri romped through the garden, defecated on the peonies and tried to cover up the lupines. The fragrance we all love moved something deep inside Henri. Matthew said, "Henri must have misunderstood and thought we were saying pee-on-these." It is a very common mistake, I must admit. Brody however took to sampling my herbs, deciding that the flat leaf parsley was most desirable. Again, my fault and I must purchase some edging fence. My sister very kindly gave me enough for our herbs and Brody no longer grazes in them. My perennial beds are left vulnerable and remain a place for mischief.

A little pee never hurt anyone and I was able to salvage some peonies for the dining room table. The lupines will make it I think. Thank goodness I caught them this morning. Their roots were very moist and happy so I put them back in the ground with plenty of compost.

I had called Matthew about deciduous azaleas on sale this week at Nature Works when I saw the destruction. I must admit I had to get off the phone fast to save myself any embarrassment. Some tears were shed, but I did not yell!!! Henri, knowingly guilty went straight into his box and stayed there the rest of the morning. He took no chances on coming out.

Henri loves to dig: flower beds, newly planted grass seed, container plants even in the living room...
Brody is a true Lab and wants to eat everything: morning lilies, herbs, lemon grass...

I should have been better prepared this spring!!!

No comments: