Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Shepherd's Pie

On this rainy day I'm heading out with my friend Marie and hitting some of my favorite farms. We are going to Four Mile River for beef and pork, Scott's for strawberries, White Gate Farm for produce and eggs and Beaver Brook for lamb, cheese, raw milk and yogurt!!!

This spring I came up with a tasty variation of an old classic. I didn't have any milk or butter, but I had lamb, potatoes, carrots and parsnips. So I made the Shepherd's Pie without mashed potatoes. The horror of such an invention rang loud and clear throughout my family. Then to boot I brought it to Easter, but much to my family's surprise it was very good. They were actually fighting over who got to take home the leftovers. So here is the recipe!!!

2-3# ground lamb
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

3-4 large onions, small dice
3-4 large parsnips, peeled and small diced
6 carrots, peeled and small diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 t dried rosemary (fresh if you have it)
2-3 T ap flour
2-3qt favorite stock (we always have home-made in the freezer, I used beef for mine)
1-2 cups favorite red wine (use what you like to drink!!!!)
salt and pepper, to taste

3-4 large potatoes (do not peel)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
In an 3-4qt oven/stove proof casserole (I love Le Creuset) brown your lamb in olive oil. Once browned strain fat from lamb and set aside. Now cook veggies in the same pan, you made need to add more olive oil. Cook veggies until slightly caramelized and add back the lamb, dust with flour and cook a few more minutes. Deglaze with your red wine and then add the stock. You may have stock left over, make sure to save room for potatoes. (I didn't have my large Le Creuset when I first made this and if you don't either do what I did!!! Prepare in the pan you have for the stove top and then transfer to a oven proof casserole and cover with foil instead if the lid.)
Let lamb mixture simmer on the stove while you prep your potatoes. Wash potatoes well because we won't be peeling them. Slice potatoes thin on a mandolin if you have one. Be careful of your fingers!!!! I have sliced them by hand using a sharp knife-this takes just a few more minutes. Now arrange slices on top of casserole and cover and bake (on a foil lined sheet pan, juices may run over) for 45 minutes, remove cover and bake another 15 minute (this will help brown the potatoes.)

If you have potato slices left, make some potato chips! You went to the trouble to slice them -don't just throw them away!!!

I hope you find this as tasty as we did. I know my ingredient amounts may look vague, but use your discretion. Remember, this started as a peasant dish to use up leftovers!!!!

No comments: